Tuesday, August 02, 2011

Being an Angel?

I know whoever reads this blog, which aren't many , actually, will think that she is a copy paste expert and she has nothing to say. But even at the fear of being what you think I am, I get hit by some emotions when I read good stuff/or what I think is good stuff. I would really like to know the experience of others to this reactions of mine. Welcome... to criticise me.

Did you ever experience these emotions and feeling explained in the article?.

//INSTANT ANGELS
by Susan Jeffers, Ph.D.

Many years ago, I decided to travel from New York City, which was my home at the time, to attend a week-long workshop at Esalen Institute, a beautiful spiritual retreat located on a cliffside a few hours drive south from San Francisco. With great excitement about the upcoming week, I flew into San Francisco, rented a car, and began my drive south on the picturesque Highway 1 which runs along the coast.

I wasn't in the car any longer than ten minutes when the skies darkened and the rains came down fast and furious. It was a difficult drive, to say the least, but my mind kept focusing on the wonderful workshop I was looking forward to attending.

When I finally arrived in the little town just north of Esalen, I thought to myself, "It won't be too long now." So you can imagine my disappointment to see a barrier in the road as I was driving out of town that said...ROAD CLOSED...FLOODING AHEAD. What a blow! Since it was the only road that leads to Esalen, I wasn't going to get to the opening of my workshop in time. Drat!

It's then that I made a downright stupid decision. I said to myself, "The road's probably not too bad. They're just being over-cautious." I then proceeded to make my way around the warning signs and continued driving. Stupid, indeed! As I drove, I noticed I was the only car on the road for an obvious reason...all the other drivers were wise enough to obey the ROAD CLOSED sign! For those of you who've never driven the magnificent Highway 1, let me explain that it is a turning, twisting, road with many areas that had no guard rails to stop one from hurtling down to the cliffs and the ocean below. If the truth be known, I began to feel a bit uneasy as I surveyed what I had gotten myself into.

Suddenly I was aware of a strange sensation. Instead of moving forward, I could feel the car being lifted as it slowly began "floating" toward the edge of the cliff. What had looked just like road was actually a big crevice in the road filled with water! I thought to myself, "This is the end! I'm going over the cliff!" I tried opening the door but with no luck; the water was blocking the door.

And, then it happened. At that very critical moment in time, a highway patrol tow truck rounded the corner. The driver immediately saw what was happening, quickly ran out of the truck, attached a rope to my car, and pulled me and the car to safety...thereby saving my life. What makes this all the more remarkable is the fact that Highway 1 stretches for hundreds of miles and the likelihood of that tow truck coming around the corner just as I needed it was remote, to put it mildly! In fact, I put it in the "Miracle" category as I put the driver in the "Instant Angel" category.

I might add that he was an Instant Angel who couldn't stop cursing at me, calling me an idiot for disregarding the sign, and telling me if I didn't go back to the little town I just came from and stay there until it was safe to proceed, he would have me arrested and thrown in jail! (Instant Angels come in all forms.) I meekly apologized, sheepishly thanked him, and headed back into town wondering how I could have been so reckless. An important lesson learned: When it comes to personal safety, there are times to "feel the fear...and DON'T do it anyway!"

It was a few days before the rains stopped and the road was once again passable. But it was a life-changing few days. At first I was understandably disappointed. So near and yet so far! Reluctantly, I checked into a cozy inn. When hunger pangs made themselves felt, I made my way to a local restaurant and bar which looked over the ocean. After spending a few hours there, I decided it was a great place to just hang out and enjoy the crackling fireplace and the sensational view...which I did for a few days until the road was free and clear and ready for travel.

Unexpectedly it became a workshop of a different kind and certainly one that I needed: I learned the pleasure of having nothing to do and nowhere to go. I spent hours just looking at the view and happily passing time with interesting people. I laughed a lot. I appreciated a lot. In fact, I am convinced that I learned more about what I needed to learn there than I could have learned at the workshop I was supposed to be attending. (It's all happening perfectly!) I then realized that the rain was a blessing in disguise.

Years have passed and I have never stopped thinking about my tow-truck Angel who kept me from going over the cliff so many years ago. Nor can I forget the enlightening few days I was "forced" to spend in Big Sur where I learned so much about life. All "grist for the mill".

Often I wonder, "Was my rescuer really an 'Instant Angel'? Or was the fact that he rounded the bend just in time to save my life merely a coincidence?" While I can't offer any proof, I choose to believe that it was something more than a coincidence...that it had something to do with the Grand Design - the Grand Plan for our lives that our mortal mind's cannot see.

I also choose to believe that we can all be "used" by a Universal Energy to be Instant Angels to others. I know I was an Instant Angel to someone recently. I was standing in a pharmacy I seldom frequent when I overheard an elderly women telling the pharmacist that she was in pain and needed her prescription filled but she didn't have any money with her. The pharmacist wouldn't give the medication to her without payment. Business is business... unfortunately.

Without giving it any thought, I said, "I'll pay for your prescription." And I handed the pharmacist my credit card. The elderly woman turned around and looked at me in amazement and exclaimed, "Are you an Angel? I just know that God sent you to me." I answered, "I never thought of myself as an Angel, but maybe God did send me to you. After all, how come I showed up here just when you needed me?" And I thought to myself, "Why did I show up at just the right time?" Coincidence? Maybe. Maybe not. Who knows? But for the first time in my life, I realized that all of us can become Instant Angels as we step in to "rescue" others who need our help. When we do, it's as though the Light of a Higher Power comes shining right through us. And as many of you may have already discovered, the feeling is divine.

The good news is that it's so easy to become an Instant Angel. All we have to do is focus our awareness on others who may need our help. As we find creative ways to feed the hungry, heal the sick, give comfort, and just be there for others in a multitude of ways, we embrace the status of Instant Angels, embodiments of a Higher Energy of love coming through us. I can promise you a heavenly result, a feeling of joy like nothing else. And when someone says to you, "Thank you. You're such an Angel." Bask in the glory that you truly are!//

I have felt this many times . I had taken comfort when I was used by people. I have felt helping hands when I needed. I had encountered angels, have been "angel" many times over.

It gave me faith in our society and people. It makes me realise there is something extra-ordinary in my life.

Life is great.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would appreciate your comments